Over the coming weeks I will be spending one week each with a number of PC-based router/firewall products installed as the primary NAT gateway at my apartment. I will be reviewing them based on overall performance, interoperability with my SIP-based VoIP service, QoS capabilities, VPN capabilities, and any extra features that make them stand out from the crowd.
The test platform will be a Dell PowerEdge SC430 with a 1.6 GHz Intel Xeon dual core processor and 4GB of RAM. The current list of software to test is as follows:
I will also be testing "appliance" type routers based on what is available to me, which currently is as follows:
- Linksys WRT54GL (Linksys firmware 4.30.12)
- Linksys WRT54GL (Tomato 1.23)
- Linksys WRT54GL (DD-WRT v24 SP1 Mega)
- Linksys WRT54GL (OpenWRT Kamikaze 8.09)
- Cisco 1841 (IOS 12.4(23))
- Watchguard Firebox X Edge
- Edgewater Edgemarc 4500 (VOS 9.1.2)
The Watchguard is currently unknown due to not having the password for it and I may cut down the list of Linksys firmwares, but all of the rest will be tested.
Hardware or software suggestions for further testing are appreciated.